2015年8月14日

A trip to the Down Syndrome Association

The trip to the Down Syndrome Association today was a very enriching one for me. I gained a lot knowledge regarding Down syndrome from the people in charge and of couse, with short interactions with persons with Down syndrome. At the first moment when we stepped into the Association,  we were greeted by a few people with Down syndrome warmly, and a lady named Min Fei introduced herself to me with a handshake. I was shocked    
by her friendliness but told her my name in return.  Min Fei went on by telling me that she lost her pink wallet that her mother gave her. She went on telling me that her wallet contained $5 and she is looking for it. This small interaction with Min Fei made me felt that she really trust me a lot as she was really detailed with her description to a mere stranger like me.
We did not have the time to interview  the persons of Down syndrome, as throughout the visit, we only toured the place. However, when the person in charge was bringing us to various rooms of different uses like the living room and the art room, we were further welcomed by more of them, as they came over to us for handshakes and high-fives, smiling warmly at us. I noticed that most of them walk while sloughing and dragging their feet, which is one of the symptoms caused by their syndrome--Low muscle tone. This reminded me of how most of us usually drag ourselves to school on an early Monday morning, having the reluctance of going to school. They cannot control the way they walk, but we do. Yet we choose to present ourself in this type of posture.
The persons with Down syndrome also had craft-making in their curriculum, where they expresse themselves through art pieces they create, often with a different perspective of how people should interpret and view the world. The crafts they made will sold to people during charity fare, encouraging them to be self-reliant and at the same time contribute to the society.
What amazes me was that the rooms are always filled with laughters and chatterings. They maintain a positive attitude, not feeling demoralized with their conditions.
Before we leave the association, we waved goodbye to the friends from afar. What touched me is what they did next, running from their places towards us eagerly despite having difficulty walking, just to high-five us goodbye.

On the whole, I learnt that persons of Down syndrome are not disabled, just differently abled.